MV PD Safety Tips
Don't make it easy for the burglar!
Anything you can put in the burglar's way puts you a step ahead. Any one of the following tips will probably not prevent a burglary. However, combined they do represent a deterrent.
- Yard and porch motion lights
- home security system
- Neighborhood Watch
- Deadbolt locks
- Make sure all doors/windows are secured and locked even if you are home
- Store valuables/Christmas presents out of sight
- Sliding glass doors need either track locks or a wooden board in place to prevent the door from being opened from the outside
- House keys should be kept in your possession at all times. Tradesmen, maids or repairmen should only have access to your house if you or a family member are home.
- If your vehicle is worked on at a repair shop, only give the shop your vehicle keys.
Burglary prevention while on vacation
- Leave an itinerary with trusted neighbor or family member. This person should know not tell anyone you are gone. In the event of a suspicious circumstance or a burglary, this person should also know to call the police before they call you.
- Pick up mail, newspapers
- TVs, radio, lights should be rotated to give the appearance that someone is home.