Moreno Valley Suspends Most In-Person Services Through April 15
City to Offer Assistance Online and by Phone Where Possible
For immediate release: March 17, 2020
Effective March 18 to April 15, or until further notice, the City of Moreno Valley is suspending most in-person City services and closing City facilities to the public. Some services will continued to be provided online or by telephone where possible.
The decision to suspend in-person services is in response to guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Riverside County Public Health intended to slow the spread of coronavirus.
"This is a prudent and appropriate response to an unprecedented situation for our City," explained Dr. Yxstian Gutierrez, Mayor of Moreno Valley. "We need to minimize person-to-person contact as much as possible while maintaining essential City services, such as public safety, and using technology to deliver as many other services as we can. We will get through this together."
Following is a list of City operational changes to take effect March 18.
City Hall & Moreno Valley Utility (Annex 1)
- City Hall and Annex 1 will be closed to the public from March 18 through April 15, or until further notice.
- Essential City services will continue but in-person services at City Hall and Annex 1 will be suspended through April 15, or until further notice.
- An online City Directory is available to contact key City departments and resources.
- City Hall will transition to online services; residents and businesses are encouraged to use available online public services. The City has subscribed to Zoom video conferencing and highly encourages residents and businesses to use Zoom for video meetings. Zoom is a free online software application and can be found on Google Play, the Apple App store and www.zoom.us.
- To setup a video meeting, contact the City by e-mailing ContactUs@moval.org with your request.
- In addition to online services, the City will accommodate the lack of in-person services by heavily staffing phone lines. The City’s main phone line is 951-413-3000.
- Moreno Valley Utility bill payments can continue to be made through the following methods: mail; phone (1-844-657-6473); Paybill Online ; and via a dropbox located outside the MVU office at 14331 Frederick St.
- To help with financial challenges due to COVID-19, MVU will temporarily suspend disconnections and late fees for customers unable to pay their bill.
- MVU Administration phone number is 951-413-3500; moval.org/mvu.
Parks & Community Services
The following Parks & Community Services facilities will be closed to the public through April 15, or until further notice:
- Conference & Recreation Center, including Grand Valley Ballroom
- TownGate Community Center
- March Field Park Community Center and Annex
- Cottonwood Clubhouse
- Moreno Valley Senior Community Center: Although the Senior Community Center will be closed, Family Services Association will continue to provide meal services Tuesday through Thursday from 11:30 a.m. to 1.p.m. in a drive-thru format to promote social distancing. We are also exploring delivery options for seniors and disabled persons who are unable to come to the Senior Center to pick up meals.
- All recreation programs, classes, facility use permits and reservations are cancelled through April 15, or until further notice.
- As previously announced, all City-sponsored events are cancelled through May 31.
- Time for Tots program at all locations is suspended through April 15, or until further notice.
- All youth and adult sports activities are suspended through April 15, or until further notice.
- City parks, skate parks, Moreno Valley Equestrian Center and Hound Town Dog Park will remain accessible to the public.
- Cottonwood Golf Course will remain open to the public, however, clubhouse rentals and The First Tee program are suspended.
- The Movin’ Thru MoVal Mobile Recreation Center is suspended until further notice.
- A Child’s Place after-school child care program is suspended at all sites until Moreno Valley and Val Verde unified school districts re-open.
- After School Education and Safety (ASES) Expanded Learning Program is suspended in line with MVUSD and VVUSD closures.
- Park Rangers will continue to serve the public with proper social distancing measures in place.
City libraries will be closed through April 15, or until further notice.
- While the libraries are closed, Moreno Valley will relax its fee policy. All late fees are suspended and due dates extended during this period.
- Patron holds for items are suspended.
- Patrons may continue to enjoy the items they have already borrowed.
- Library patrons are encouraged to use the Library’s online resources at moval.org/library. EBooks and eZines of many types are available. Access your account and search the library’s collection.
- Homework help is available.
- Help for job-seekers, students, and adult learners is available.
- Patrons may still get help from Library staff by email or phone:
- Main Library: 951-413-3880. Hours: Monday - Thursday, 9 a.m. - 8 p.m.; Friday, 9 a.m. - 6 p.m., Saturday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. and Sunday, noon - 5 p.m.
- Mall Branch: 951-413-3761. Hours: Monday - Friday, 10 a.m. - 8 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Moreno Valley Animal Services will be closed with limited public access by appointment only. Monday, 9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.; Tuesday - Friday, 9:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m., Saturday, 10 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. for the following services: reclaim a lost pet; pet adoptions (Tuesday - Saturday only); and pet transfers to Animal Rescue Partners.
- Residents are encouraged to download the FindingRover app to reunite lost pets with their families.
- Dog licenses may be purchased online at moval.org/doglicense
- Field responses by Animal Control Officers will be limited only to public health and safety issues including dangerous animals, sick or injured animals, police/fire assistance, deceased animals, and cruelty investigations.
- Moreno Valley Veterinary Clinic will remain open to provide medical care for community pets.
- Animal Services: 951-413-3790; fax, 951-413-3769; email, email@example.com.
Employment Resource Center (ERC)
- The Employment Resource Center will be open, but will practice social distancing so residents can still receive job assistance resources.
- Job seekers may call 951-413-3920 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- All programs including workshops and trainings will be cancelled or offered via online when available.
- All City services requiring in-person visits or public service counter assistance (including business licensing and building permits) will be suspended or made available via phone, online or through email.
- Most building inspection services will continue.
- All Public Works services will remain in place with the exception of in-person submission of documents and over-the-counter services for permitting or plan check.
- The City’s Corporate Yard public counter will be closed through April 15, or until further notice. Please call 951-413-3160 for service inquiries.
- Refuse collection and street sweeping will continue per the regular schedule.
- The City’s Corporate Yard and Moreno Valley Utility (Annex 1) will be open for deliveries.
Financial Support for Residents and Businesses
- To aid residents and businesses financially during this unprecedented time, the City will be suspending penalties and interest for late payments for utilities, parking citations, business license fees and library fines that are incurred beginning March 18, 2020, through April 15, or until further notice.
- The City will also refund fees for any cancellation of Parks & Community Services programs at City facilities and off-site locations and Parks facility rentals due to the mandatory facility closure.
City Public Meetings
- The March 17 City Council meeting will take place with option for teleconference.
- The City Council meetings of April 7 and April 21 will be conducted by teleconference pursuant to the Governor’s Executive Order. Electronic comments are encouraged by residents.
- Commission, Committee and Board meetings will either be suspended or conducted via teleconference until further notice.
- Written comments may be submitted to the City Clerk by email at email@example.com.
Fire Stations and Police Department
- The Riverside Sheriff’s Office - Moreno Valley Station at the Public Safety Building will be closed to public access to ensure the health and safety of our Police personnel. Residents may call 951-486-6700 for non-emergency Police assistance and general information.
- All Fire stations will be functional but closed to the public for routine business in order to protect our first responders. We encourage visits to Fire's website at firstname.lastname@example.org or non-emergency calls to 951-486-6780.
# # #
Upon request, this news release will be made available in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities, in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Any person with a disability who requires a modification or accommodation in order to participate in this meeting should direct such requests to Guy Pegan, ADA Coordinator, at 951.413.3120 at least 72 hours before the meeting. The 72-hour notification will enable the City to make reasonable arrangements to ensure accessibility to this meeting.