Anticipated Rain: Sandbags Available
For immediate release: January 8, 2018
In preparation for an anticipated rain event, empty sandbags and loose sand are available for Moreno Valley residents. Sandbag quantities are limited to 25 per resident unless special circumstances require more than this amount. Residents are encouraged to bring shovels to fill their own sandbags.
Elderly and disabled residents should call the Maintenance and Operations Division at 951.413.3160 prior to retrieving sandbags to ensure that staff members are available to assist with sandbag filling and loading.
The following locations offer sandbag supplies for residents:
Empty sandbags and loose sand
- City Yard Main Office, 15670 Perris Boulevard. Available Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. –4:00 p.m.
Empty sandbags only (no sand)
- Any fire station within the City of Moreno Valley. Available any day, between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m.
Loose sand only (no sandbags)
- Alessandro Boulevard and Redlands Boulevard at the Post Office property. Available any day, any time.
- Conference and Recreation Center overflow parking lot located at Veterans Way and Alessandro Boulevard. Available any day, any time.
- City Yard Visitor Parking Lot located immediately south of the City Yard main building at 15670 Perris Boulevard. Available any day, any time.
Tips to help prevent rainstorm-related problems:
- Place sandbags around doorways.
- Pile sandbags two or three bags high outside the home to create a water barrier.
- Residents living adjacent to hill areas should cover up bare soil areas with plastic covering, since extreme water saturation can affect the stability of the soil.
- Make sure your rain gutters are cleared out and that your drains are free of debris.
- Prepare the outside of your home by bringing in things that can get ruined by excessive water.
- Observe all “Flooded warning signs and “Road Closed” signs.
- Do not attempt to cross any road which has a significant amount of standing or flowing water.
- If you see a storm drain catch basin in the street that is plugged and not draining, alert the City's Public Works Department immediately by calling 951-413-3160.
For more information, please call the Moreno Valley City Yard at 951.413.3160 or the Moreno Valley Fire Department at 951.486.6780.
# # #
Upon request, this news release will be made available in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities, in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Any person with a disability who requires a modification or accommodation in order to participate in this meeting should direct such requests to Guy Pegan, ADA Coordinator, at 951.413.3120 at least 72 hours before the meeting. The 72-hour notification will enable the City to make reasonable arrangements to ensure accessibility to this meeting.