Animal Shelter Making it Easier to Reclaim Lost Pets During Fourth of July
For immediate release: June 19, 2017
Holiday special appointment hours to be held Monday, July 3
Residents of Moreno Valley will have an easier time reuniting with their lost pets over the Fourth of July holiday due to special appointment hours at the Moreno Valley Animal Shelter.
Residents can make an appointment between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. on Monday, July 3 to pick up their pets lost over the weekend due to fireworks and other issues. Appointments can be made by calling the shelter at 951.413.3790.
Owners of lost pets can also leave a message after hours. Calls will be returned to set up an appointment to reclaim lost pets.
The special appointment hours will reduce the time lost pets will have to spend in the shelter over the Fourth of July holiday.
The shelter is normally closed on Sundays and Mondays. With the Fourth of July holiday falling on Tuesday this year, pet owners would have had to wait until Wednesday, July 5 to reclaim their pets without the added appointment hours.
In addition to July 3, pet owners can also reclaim lost pets on Saturday, July 1 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Wednesday, July 5 through Friday, July 7 from 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
The shelter will be closed Sunday, July 2, and Tuesday, July 4.
Residents who lose pets can visit the City’s website or www.petharbor.com to see if their pet has been taken to the Moreno Valley Animal Shelter. Found pets can be brought to the Animal Shelter to be scanned for a microchip, which will assist shelter staff in locating the owner.
The Moreno Valley Animal Shelter urges residents to make the safety of their pets a priority during Fourth of July festivities and avoid a trip to the shelter.
- Keep pets safe from fireworks noise by keeping them in a quiet, sheltered, and escape-proof area of your home.
- Do not take your pet with you to watch fireworks.
- Microchip your pet for permanent identification. Keep a current pet license or ID of your pet in the event your pet becomes lost. The Animal Shelter can microchip your pet for just $16.
- Never leave a pet alone inside a vehicle – even with the windows slightly open. Temperatures inside cars rise quickly and can cause your pet to die from heatstroke.
- Walk your pet in the early morning when temperatures are cooler. Do not walk your pet on hot asphalt or concrete. Old and overweight pets should be kept in cooled rooms.
- Provide plenty of shade and fresh water to your pets at all times.
To make an appointment to pick up your lost pet please call the Moreno Valley Animal Shelter at 951-413-3790. The Moreno Valley Animal Shelter is located at 14041 Elsworth Street.
# # #
Upon request, this news release will be made available in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities, in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Any person with a disability who requires a modification or accommodation in order to participate in this meeting should direct such requests to Guy Pegan, ADA Coordinator, at 951.413.3120 at least 72 hours before the meeting. The 72-hour notification will enable the City to make reasonable arrangements to ensure accessibility to this meeting.