City of Moreno Valley Offers Free Sandbags in Anticipation of Powerful Storm
For immediate release: January 19, 2017
Drivers urged to “Turn Around, Don’t Drown”
The City of Moreno Valley is urging residents to be prepared for another round of heavy rain expected to hit Riverside County beginning Friday morning.
Forecasters are predicting the latest storm could bring up to an inch of rain, with the heaviest rain falling between 4 a.m. and 4 p.m. on Friday.
Flooding is one of the most common hazards in Riverside County and can cause injury, death, and property damage. Floods can develop slowly over time or in just a few minutes. Flash floods can carry rocks, mud and debris and the rapidly moving water can sweep away anything in its path.
County of Riverside officials have reported several recent incidents of drivers attempting to cross flooded intersections becoming stuck and requiring rescue. Residents are reminded to “Turn Around, Don’t Drown.” Never try to cross an area or intersection that appears to be flooded and find a different route around the flood waters. You can be knocked off your feet in as little as six inches of water.
The City of Moreno Valley is offering free sandbags and loose sand to help residents prevent damage from possible flooding due to the anticipated heavy rain.
Empty sandbags and loose sand will be available at these locations:
- City Yard Main Office, 25180 Santiago Drive in Moreno Valley, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Sunnymead Ranch Fire Station No. 48, located at the southwest corner of Sunnymead Ranch Parkway and Village Road in Moreno Valley
- Sunnymead Fire Station No. 2, located at Hemlock Avenue west of Perris Boulevard
Empty sandbags only are available at any Moreno Valley fire station between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.
Loose sand only is available at these locations:
- Alessandro Boulevard and Redlands Boulevard at the Post Office property
- Conference and Recreation Center overflow parking lot located at Veterans Way and Alessandro Boulevard
- City Yard Visitor Parking Lot located immediately south of the City Yard main building located at 25180 Santiago Drive in Moreno Valley.
Sandbags are typically limited to 25 sandbags per person unless there are special circumstances that require more than this amount. Filled sandbags are available at the City Yard, 25180 Santiago Drive in Moreno Valley for elderly and disabled residents.
Residents not picking up filled sandbags are encouraged to bring their own shovels.
# # #
Upon request, this news release will be made available in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities, in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Any person with a disability who requires a modification or accommodation in order to participate in this meeting should direct such requests to Guy Pegan, ADA Coordinator, at 951.413.3120 at least 72 hours before the meeting. The 72-hour notification will enable the City to make reasonable arrangements to ensure accessibility to this meeting.